Sunday, April 19, 2009

Corrective Tract for the Prosperity Gospel




Mark 8:34-36:

If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel’s will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul?

Is this preached anymore today? I am so sick to tears of preachers and TV’s so called evangelists teaching on how I can be “Blessed” (acquiring wealth) How I can build “My kingdom” here “What’s in it for me” and “HOW CAN I KEEP MY WALLET FULL”! This Self Centered Americanized Gospel sickens me to no end!

“Teach us smooth things” and “Tickle my ears” tell me that I can have this world and the next one too!

But I guess if they preached to deny yourself, take up your cross, losing your life for His and in gaining the world you would lose your soul, wouldn’t fill the pews now would it?

Oh how many faithful have been damaged after being told that “God has a wonderful plan for you” right before being fed to the lions.

You may not become rich, you may never drive a BMW, and guess what, you may even remain poor. Who cares!!! God saved a wretch like me when I didn’t deserve it, GOD is GOOD!

Now… can we start teaching the whole Gospel?

Consider the costs!

-Chad

1 comment:

Dave said...

Amen, Amen! Your right on target. Colossians 1:9-12 says - "For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.

Now that's being rich! That's the kind of prosperity I want to have a share in. Bless you bro!